Ranked top in the world for children’s well-being by UNICEF, the Netherlands is great for families.
- Immigration policies have been reformed in recent years, making it easier and cheaper for family reunification in the Netherlands.
- Partners or relatives in the Netherlands can apply for permits on behalf of family member(s) who live abroad.
- The applications for both the entry visa (MVV) and residence permit are streamlined into one Entry and Residence Procedure (TEV), which can be lodged before family members arrive.
- Partners also no longer need to be married to receive residency, although certain conditions apply.
- If you need an MVV permit to enter the Netherlands, you may need to follow an integration programme, although many exemptions apply.
- It is important to visit the IND website (www.ind.nl) for the most up-to-date information and prices, as changes occur regularly. Search the ‘Residence Wizard’ and news sections.
- Recommendation: for a day out visit the Rijksmuseum Muiderslot. The most beautiful and best kept castle in the Netherlands.
For families with children, the Expat Fair has a dedicated kids’ area managed by childcare professionals, Hestia Kinderopvang.