Finding the perfect home is not easy in the densely populated Netherlands. That is why at the Expat Fair the housing theme is extra highlighted. Called 'Houses for Expats'.
Here’s some tips about the Dutch Housing market:
- More houses have become available in the private rental sector in 2016 because the sellers’ market is hot and housing is in demand.
- The Dutch social housing sector makes up 75 percent of the rental market.
- Competition for attractive housing in popular areas is fierce, so house hunters need to be ready to sign quickly if they find the right home.
- Expats are advised to buy only if they will be in the Netherlands for five years minimum, mainly due to the recovery of start-up costs involved in buying property (in total, around six percent of the purchase price).
- If you are only here for a couple of years, renting is likely your best option, despite high rents in desirable places.